Missing Marbles

Sunday, June 18, 2006

WHAT WERE WE THINKING?


When Andy and I decided to buy a house we decided to buy one that was going to be built from the ground up. We would go in and pick the carpet we wanted and the tile we wanted. We would get to pick where all the phone and cable jacks went. Heck, we could add concrete wherever wanted to as well! What I guess we forgot was all the landscpaing that would have to be done...by us and us alone. Yes, we could have chosen to roll landscaping into our closing costs but we were already having down payment assistance rolled into our closing costs so why add more. Hmmm.....wondering if that was a great idea or not.

Yes, that is my hubby, standing in a hole 5 feet deep. Cute, huh? Well, not so cute if you knew why he was standing in a hole 5 feet deep. The brilliant people who built our house told us that they would mark with spray paint where we needed to dig to get to the main water line for our sprinkler system. Our house was built in the summer of '04 and it must have been a hot one because they MISSED the dang water line by four feet and mis-marked our house. I swear it took my hubby and his best friend 5 hours to dig that hole. Thankfully they laughed this off. Trust me when I say that putting in a sprinkler system is hard work and this would have easily irked me if I was the one digging.

This is not the first place we started either. No, no, no...our landscaping feat started 2 weeks before we actually moved into our house. We have a dog, a precious lab-sharpei we call Cody, or Princess Codilums for long. :) Our back yard is pretty big. Three things do not go well together in a new house: a dog, a huge dirt backyard and new carpet. So, two weeks before we moved in we spent upwards of a $1000 to buy sod so she would have a safe place to pee and play. Again, my hubby set to work and three days later we had sod...but no sprinkler system in the back because we are smart first time home buyers, and I say that sarcastically. It's a pain to move a sprinkler all around the yard these days! What the heck were we thinking? So, the sprinkler system we have now is just for the front yard...the back yard gets to wait until next summer because we are working on the front yard this summer.


This big 'ol rock pile has been sitting in our driveway for a month. Because of my hubby's work schedule we get landscaping done a little at a time. Now, I have to say that putting rock down is the easiest part of landscaping ever! Someone comes and dumps it, you shovel it into a wheelbarrow, roll it over to where you want it, dump it out and spread it all around. Piece of cake really. This afternoon, after sweet hubby-love gets home from work, we (with the help of my dad) will finish the skinny side of the driveway and call it good for rock in the front yard. Next we get to deal with the weeds that are popping up in the new grass we planted. Grrrrr....

So, hopefully this will explain where I have been and why things have been hectic around here. Factor a baby into the plan and it's gets even trickier. Speaking of baby-son...his Baby Einstein video is over and he's not too happy about it! Ta ta for now!!!!

12 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

I actually saw Andy standing in this hole and the photo cracks me up. And the pile of gravel should be completely gone by tonight! It's been fun watching you two try to landscape your house yourselves. Makes me very thankful Dad and I didn't have to do it.

Baby Einstein. A his first birthday coming up June 30th. Hmmmm.

xoxoxo

10:17 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Krissy - you poor things! As if you don't already have enough to do! Just think, though, in less than 24 hours, your new gorgeous truck will be parked in your driveway! Yay!!!! By the way - I can help with rocks if you need me, or with baby. It gives me an excuse to stay in the "lounging clothes" I have on (at 1:20 pm.)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

That does not look fun, esp since your mom told me it's been something like 100 degrees there lately. We've never had a sprinkler system. Next house - you bet!!! Unless it rains tomorrow I will be outside for a good two hours watering all those flowers I thought we needed...lawn work, overrated. But sure does make a hot shower feel good later that night.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Hallelujah - I woke up to a monsoon this morning. That just saved me two hours. Hmmm, wonder what I'll spend it on. Blog away. By the way, men move gravel, women serve lemonaide...

4:53 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Actually, men move gravel....women BLOG.

xoxoxo

6:09 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Do-it-yourself landscaping sounds like something I wouldn't want to do. We're thinking of paving our yard.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

If it were my choice I would have poured concrete over the entire yard and painted it green.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Dad! You know, you might be a redneck if...

7:34 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Rob, apparently you and Brenda think a LOT alike!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Addie said...

Ugh! Installing your own sprinkler system! We have a huge yard and I think I'll stick with moving the sprinkler around the yard. Lucky enough for us, our house is next to people who don't know what lawn maintenance is. So our yard always looks good, even when it's a little brown! :D

9:21 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I used to live next door to "Yard of the Month" award recipients. Almost every month, they had a sign in their front yard that might as well have said "Our Neighbors are Losers". You would think they'd have thanked us for making them look so good.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

It has been over 72 hours now and the rocks are still there.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home