Missing Marbles

Friday, June 23, 2006

"OPT ME OUT, SCOTTY!"

I hate it when I go to my mailbox and instead of getting my latest People magazine there are 5 or 6 credit card offers for me and my hubby...each! "Your pre-qualified!", "Just sign and return to open your new credit line!", "0% APR on all account transfers!". Please, like I need another stinking line of credit. I'm working hard to get my credit score in near perfect condidtion here, people! What used to really strike my curiousity was how did they know I could qualify for a $25,000 PLATINUM Visa? I didn't ask for that...I never inquired about that at all. Hmmm...well, they have the greatest access to my credit report. Not good, in my opinion.

Being in the industry that I'm in, having a good credit score can open a lot of doors for you and it could also make or break the deal to your dream home! I attend a monthly certified closer luncheon where we have various guest speakers that speak about different, or new isues/laws/policies, in our industry. I missed last month's meeting but I was given a copy of the meeting minutes. Guess what one topic was? You guessed correctly, credit scores. Did you know that for every credit card offer you receive, your credit report is pulled and it takes 2-3 points off your credit score? I didn't know that...doesn't sound like a lot of points, right? But, they add up. I probably get 10-15 offers a month. I was a little shocked and even more irritated that I keep getting these offers that I promptly tear in half and throw away. What to do, what to do...

I was reviewing some documents this afternoon when I came across the greatest little address ever! The address for the National Opt-Out Center! These people can take your name off the marketing mailing lists for Experian, Equifax and TransUnion for two years!

For those of you who already knew this 1. I'm jealous and 2. I'm sorry if I am boring you. :)

This is perfect for me since I am trying so hard to improve my credit score...hence the Budget Sheet in my WFMW post. All you have to do is write to their address, ask them to remove your name from those three lists, give them your complete mailing address and social security # (don't freak...they probably can find it themselves!) and sign it. Bam! No more CC offers for two whole years! Now that is pretty cool to me. Besides, don't you think it should be up to you when your credit report is pulled? If you, and you alone, can screw up your credit then you, and you alone, should be able to prevent it from being screwed up!

Now, I did a teeny bit more research...this is not the same thing as the Do Not Call list...that's for telemarketers, which are awful as well. So, if anyone is interested in getting their name off nosey marketing lists, here's the address:

National Opt-Out Center

P.O. Box 97328

Jackson, MS 39288-7328

The two letters I typed this afternoon for my hubby and I are already signed, sealed and ready to go out in tomorrow's mail.

Thank you, everybody, for visiting Missing Marbles and her Friday soap-box presentation! :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I hate those offers, too. I just paid off a $12,000 credit card (yes, it was maxed out) and I don't need or want another one.

Here's what I do with those offers, suggestion courtesy of Andy Rooney: Use their postage paid envelopes to send the junk right back to them. You might try it until they take your name of their lists. Satisfaction guaranteed! :-)

12:17 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

I can see where 2 or 3 points taken off your credit score adds up quickly. Dad and I get these offers almost daily, seriously! This is something most people probably didn't know. Good for you making it so easy for everyone to stop the junk mail madness!

xoxoxo

6:38 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

PS - What a great idea, Brenda. I'm doing that from now on. If everyone did it, we could bankrupt them via return-mail postage expenses! They must send out a million of them a day. Of course, they'd probably just raise their interest rates to cover the expense.

xoxoxo

6:40 AM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Brenda- That is a really good idea. I think I will do that until they take our names off the list. Andy and I have been doing really well these past few months- we have been able to pay off three credit cards altely so I wnt my credit score to go up, not down!

Mom- you and Dad should get your names taken off the list. I bet the mailman would appreciate it...his bag would probably be 50lbs. less heavy if the junk mail stopped.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Less heavy? I meant lighter!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Great post Krissy! I loved your friday soapbox presentation! This is very helpful to me. Getting ready to enter into a marriage, the last thing I need is my credit rating destroyed. (I am just barely starting to get it repaired after my Young and Dumb college kid with a credit card days.)

By the way, good grammar save. But I still have two months off, so I won't say a word...

9:29 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Excellent excellent information. I am copying it and saving it for other young couples I mentor. Most of the time they have financial issues, and while I knew some of the woes of credit, I did NOT know just having an offer sent to you affected your credit rating. Great info! Don and I do write them and tell them to quit sending us offers, but I have two that just keep it up - I will work harder at getting of those stupid lists!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Autn Bev- EVERYTHING affects your credit these days and you have to have stellar credit to do just about anything anymore. So, imagine how frustrated I was when I found out that some thing I had NO control over was controlling my credit. Un-acceptable so when I found a way to prevent I immedaitely decided to share!

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home