Missing Marbles

Sunday, June 25, 2006

"LIVE, ON AMERICAN IDOL"

Week after week I heard Ryan Seacrest say those exact words over and over again. I used to think to myself, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if it really were live?". Well, for Andy and I last night, it was! We got to see Carrie Underwood live!

Every year, Country Jam USA comes to Grand Junction. Well, it comes to Mack, Colorado, which is a "town" that has about 2 houses in it. But, when Country Jam comes the population multiplies ten fold. We heard on the radio last week that when Country Jam is in town, Mack is the highest populated town on the Western Slope, even if it is for just one weekend. Anyhoo, Country Jam- a four day concert series that, this year, featured groups like Surgarland, Gretchen Wilson, Alan Jackson and of course, Carrie Underwood. There were about 15 more but I can't remember them. Now, I'm not going to lie- it really is a huge 4-day party where people drink and act crazy. For three years in a row, me and a group of friends would head out to Country Jam to "mingle" and have fun. I was always to chicken to drink out there so I baby-sat mostly but back then I had a good time! They have a hugemongous piece of land that they turn into the world's largest campground that hold, seriously, probably 500 campers. It's nuts! But, a friend of mine at work won a bunch of tickets and gave me two so Andy and I could see Carrie.

The minute I got out there, I was immediately reminded of why I quit going to Country Jam. Holy, moly there were so many people and it was loud and dirty and hot. BUT, I really wanted to see Carrie. I guess I'm just old now- if and when I go to Country Jam I really do want to watch the concerts. So, Andy and I found our spot and went to find something to eat. Let me back up a sec- I have to thank, again, my hubby for even going out there with me. She was the headliner for the evening so her show didn't even start until 9:30. Andy got up and went to work at 4am and didn't get home until 5:30pm. He "slept" for an hour and a half and then got out of bed and took me all the way out to Mack. :)

I guess it was like any other concert we would go to- we sat about a half a mile away and watched her on a big screen TV. She looked adorable, as always, and was really a pleasure to see live. She covered most of the songs off her album and she even did 2 Gun's and Roses songs, which was pretty impressive because Gun's and Roses is a 90's heavy metal band! We were out there for about 2 1/2 hours before coming home, we were exhausted but both really glad we got to go. So, I guess it shows that some Idols really do live up to their title- I wonder if we'll ever see Taylor out this way? :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

Here's the deal. I can forgive you for not mentioning who babysat so you and Andy could go see Carrie. But I swear, If Taylor Hicks comes to Grand Junction to get his TEETH CLEANED and you don't get me tickets, well. We'll have a problem, my dear. SOUL PATROL!!!!!

xoxoxoMom

9:29 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Okay, so I have NEVER had a good experience at country jam. Remember when my so-called boyfriend at the time cheated on me there (twice), and then got punched by someone? Still, I am jealous that you got to see Carrie. She is adorable, and it would have been awesome.

I don't picture Taylor ever doing Country Jam, or Rock Jam, but you never know. Maybe Aaron and I will ask him to sing at our wedding, just so you and Mom can meet him.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Sorry, mom. :( Thank you for babysitting...I thanked you bunches, didn't I? I guess Taylor and Katherine are supposed to release their first singles tomorrow! How exciting!

Yes, Miss Mandy, I remember that year. That was also the year that said boyfriend, along with my husband(before we married) walked around Country Jam with bare chests and their tux bowties! Remember when I said I babysat a lot- that's why!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I would love to see Carrie Underwood. I love her song "Jesus Take the Wheel." She has an amazing talent! I can't wait for the next American Idol.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I am J.E.A.L.O.U.S. - seriously. I loved loved her and would love to see her concert. I checked on Clay Aiken tickets when he was here in Pgh and they started at $75. Thats a bit steep for me to see anybody! For $75 I could buy most of their CDs...but bet she was fun to see. Lucky you.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Krissy, I'm like you--I hate huge crowds, loud crowds, or dirty crowds. Guess I just hate crowds:) And for some reason your bloglines button isn't allowing me to subscribe to you--you might check it out. :)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Krissy, Your Mom knew I was suffering from computer withdrawal, so I'm at hers' today, and will take this chance to tell you I am so sorry I can't be at Cameron's big one year old birthday party. I have to work that day. I love you. GrandMa.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Mom- Sarah said my bloglines button isn't working...help! :)

Sarah- I have no idea how I survived Country Jam for three years in a row- but it was so worth it to see her. You can tell she's knew to the concert scene though- she had a hard time chatting it up with the crowd. I think she would have rather sang. :)

Aunt Bev- She really was terrific so I would love to see her in a real concert for a whole 2 hours. I have to admit I would pay $75 to go see agood concert- it's the driving for 4 hours to get to that concert that I'm not so sure about.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home