Missing Marbles

Monday, May 22, 2006

SNAKES, SNAILS AND PUPPY DOG TAILS

This is what little boys are made of, huh? Well, that's a bummer because I REALLY hate snakes and I'm not too fond of snails either. In fact, I don't like anything creepy, I hate anything crawly and I can not stand anything that can fly or jump within 5 feet of me.

I went to a BBQ at my brother-in-laws house and they have two little boys. Well, not too little I guess. One is 7 and the other is 11. The 11 year old is into cool clothes and video games while the 7 year old is into...you guessed it...bugs! And frogs, and snakes and lizards etc. etc. He is a brilliant little boy who at the present time is studying life cycles in the first grade. I was sitting at the kitchen table with my little man, waiting to help out where needed, when this brilliant little 7 year old walked up to me and said "Look, Aunt Krissy!". In my face he shoved a little bug cage, with the door open of course, and inside was the BIGGEST moth I had ever seen. It was horrible and gross and nasty all at the same time. It was hanging on to the top of the cage for dear life because the cat ate it's wings. OK, gross!!! I'm not kidding, this thing had to be 4 inches long and as thick as a hot dog. I jumped up, quickly, and ran to the other end of the table. This kid had the funniest look on his face- he must have thought I was the biggest chicken in the world. I told him, very nicely, that Aunt Krissy does not like any type of bug...at all! He cracked up and behind me my brother-in-law told me I had better get used to it because Cameron would some day love bugs, too. Great.

Which brings me to my dilemma. What in the world am I going to do!? I hate bugs! They literally make my skin crawl. I have severe arachnaphobia- have you seen the movie? Well, those spiders were huge and the saying "The camera adds 10 pounds" definitely applied to those spiders. Aren't mommies supposed to be supportive of their little ones and their interests? What do I do when Cameron brings a bug home- play with it? Do I have to touch it? Will I hurt his feelings if I freak out? I know I have a few years before I have to really start worrying about this but still...I am in deep doo doo here.

I am hoping, PRAYING that my Aunt Bev has some good advice for me. If I remember correctly, Dan loved bugs...every kind. How did she handle it when he brought home a new creature? In fact, if there is any Mommy out there that can help, I would much appreciate it. :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Dan doesnt like snakes, so that helped. But he had frogs, turtles, mice, collected locust shells (whatever you call them), he had a bug collection (they were dead), and his room was so full of yucky things one friend of mine would not cross the threshhold. I despise bugs - am terrified of most of them, but the trick was to not let him know. As soon as he found out it was downhill from there. My only suggestion - Raid. Several cans. (Spray the bugs, not the kid.)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm afraid I can't help you. My girls were into rocks of all things. For some reason my youngest felt the need to bring the playground home in her pockets.

I did have a 4 year old in my preschool choir who loved spiders. He'd pick them up and let them crawl on his legs. It was rather annoying until he said "wook! he wikes me! he's kickowing (tickling) me!" What could I do then?

8:16 PM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Aunt Bev- I guess it's a good thing I have a few years to work on my "I'm not scared face!" I remembered you not being too fond of bugs so you were the first person I thought of asking. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I can practice with my nephew!

Brenda- I would choose rocks over bugs anyday. I guess it's a good thing your pre-schooler wasn't afraid of spiders! I'm starting to think I need to have at least one girl- then daddy can play bugs and I can play dolls!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

You wouldn't believe the things I found in my four brothers' pockets when I was doing laundry back a million years ago. Truly disgusting slimy sometimes still alive biting things. And I can testify about Danny's room when he was little. We went to Pinckneyville to visit, ont he way to the Indy 500 as I recall, and Bev showed me his room. In one corner was a cardbox that had been set up as temporary (it's always temporary - they never make it, these critters) housing for a box turtle. I generally like turtles but this one creeped me out. And on his bulletin board, I kid you not, were about a hundred big dead bugs all very neatly pinned. Ugh. And Aunt Bev has a story about a "container" of live bugs Danny was running around with. Lid came off. In her kitchen! Aunt Bev almost killed us both one morning on the interstate going to work -- there was a moth fluttering around in the back windshield. I don't know what to tell you, Honey. I agree you're in deep doo doo.

xoxoxo

7:34 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

xoxoxoxo

(I'm just not myself this morning!)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Mom- you are watching my son- of course you aren't yourself. :) I understand Aunt Bev freaking out. I will pull over to the side of the road if there is a bee in my car. I remember what happened to Mandy.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Krissy! You are so funny! Do you remember the bird moth in Grandma's garage! I remember being thankful that I was CPR trained, because for a minute, you actually stopped breating!

Aunt Bev - I can understand the moth in the car thing. I was driving home from work one day, and I almost died because there was a spider running around and around my rearview mirror. I don't have a clue how I got home, because I don't think I watched the road. I considered pulling over and walking.

I remember what happened to me too! I have a reason to squeal like an idiot when I hear the bzzzz....

6:37 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

You have to get over your fear of creepy crawlies. We can tell right now that Cameron will be a bug person. Our first fishing trip together will be mostly trying to keep him from eating the bait.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Dad, gross! That's worse than cleaning fish!

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home